Abuse and Sexual Violence
Every person has the right to healthy relationships and safe sex. This includes freedom from abuse and access to condoms, birth control, emergency contraceptives, and safe abortion.
Abuse can happen in any relationship. It is not healthy and it is never okay. If you experience abuse, remember it is not your fault. Talk to someone you trust, visit the health centre, call social services or RCMP/ KRPF.
- Nunavut Kamatsiaqtut Help Line
Anywhere in Canada: 1-800-265-3333
- Kids Help Phone
- Child Abuse Hotline
1-800-422-4453 (24 hours/day, 7 days a week)
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline
There are family violence shelters in the following communities:
- Cambridge Bay, St. Michael’s Crisis Shelter: (867) 983-5232
- Iqaluit, Qimavvik Shelter: (867) 979-4500
- Kugaaruk Family Violence Centre: (867) 769-6100
- Kugluktuk Women's Crisis Centre: (867) 982-3210
- Rankin Inlet, Kataujaq Society Shelter: (867) 645-2214
If there are no shelters in your community, contact your local RCMP or social services.
You can also contact your local family abuse intervention worker.
For more information about family violence:
Government of Nunavut Department of Family Services